Wednesday 26 September 2007

What is appreciating?

Appreciating classical music is a process in which you take some time in your daily life to listen to a classical music piece in order to be familiar with them. For me, it will be until I can practically whistle through the whole piece (or at least the main themes of the piece). To be able to do this, repeated listening is necessary. While this process can sometimes be tiring, the satisfaction that one got after the end of this process is very rewarding. There is nothing that can give me more satisfaction than come to terms with Mahler's Resurrection (I fell asleep twice(!) when trying to love this symphony because the recording that I have for this symphony at that time is a particularly boring one and I have to get myself a different recording).

I was introduced by the concept of repeated listening from this article. Back then (almost 2 years ago) I was a newbie in classical music and was trying to find a guide in the world of classical music. I found this article by accident and after reading that I was instantly motivated by it to discover and appreciate more classical music.

No comments: