Thursday 27 September 2007

Mozart == sweet

It happened again!

Everytime I listened to one of Mozart's concertos 'sweet' is the first word that comes out of my brain to describe every single of them. His clarinet concerto, oboe concerto, and 5 violin concertos have always did it for me and today I was listening to his Flute and Harp concerto (K. 299). It was my second listening of this piece. I liked it very much when I listened to the recording by Emmanuel Pahud (flute) and Marie-Pierre Langlamet (harp) with Abbado conducting BPO and it was no different when listening to it in period instruments sound. Unfortunately, I didnot know the name of the soloists, but the recording is by Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra conducted by Ton Koopman.

The whole concerto is full of joy - very Mozartian - with the lyrical opening of second movement instantly hits the mark for me. Just listen to the simple theme played by the orchestra and then the same theme is repeated by both of the soloists - ah, sweetness :). The first and last movement are equally enjoyable although I can't remember how the main theme sounds like again. I will listen to it sometime again soon.

By the way, I still have tons of Mozart pieces that I want to listen to. 2 weeks ago, I bought a CD of all his horn concertos that I haven't touched yet. I still have to listen to both of his flute concertos and bassoon concertos. And last but not least, his 27 piano concertos are still in my unknown territory. I should get them soon.

No comments: