Wednesday 12 August 2009

Australian Chamber Orchestra concert 9 August 2009 - Resonance

Featuring:
- Peter Sculthorpe Chaconne - World Premiere
- Vaughan Williams Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis
- Bartok Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta
- Xenakis Shaar
- Richard Strauss Metamorphosen

I guess the only major orchestra in Australia that can get away with this challenging programs and still guaranteed a pretty much almost full-house is ACO. If MSO would have programmed this, I'm quite sure the hall will be maximum half full.

The concert began with Sculthorpe's Chaconne. It's written for string orchestra with a prominent violin solo played by Richard Tognetti. Throughout the piece, the strings provided ostinato accompaniment, while the solo violin floats on top, playing the melody line. Tognetti's tone was gorgeous, but sounded dynamically a tad weak. Bach's influence is quite obvious here, but it will perhaps be a blemish to compare this piece with the Chaconne from the D minor Partita.

ACO's settings is a bit unusual for the next piece, Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis. A small group of string players (6-7 players) was located slightly further at the back from the audience, providing an echo effect to the main group. I'm not familiar with this piece, but this piece is so beautiful that you just can't help liking it. The title of this concert can be used to describe ACO strings here, they're just so resonant. I very much enjoyed the little duet between the viola and violin towards the end of the piece. Magnificent and heartfelt performance.

Bartok's piece also requires unusual orchestral settings. One half of strings with violins and violas (located slightly at the back) faces the other half with cellos and basses bridge between them in the middle. Celesta, Piano and other percussions are further back. Fugue is the musical form in the first movement, which I enjoyed a lot. The second movement is a banal rhythmic section - not unlike Stravinksy's Rite of Spring. Also, IIRC, the cymbals made a very interesting noise here: instead of clashing one cymbal to the other, the percussionist scratch them. I wasn't too impressed with the third movement which has been described as 'Night Music'. Folk music started the last movement. Another thing that captured my attention is that the celestist (is that the correct term for a celesta player?) went over to the piano and played 4 hand passages with the pianist, before going back to the celesta. Overall, I don't think I enjoyed this piece as much as I would like, as it is one hell of complicated music that would benefit from repeated listening. I'll listen to it again when I have time.

One small grudge here: In the first half of the concert, I sat behind a tall guy which directly obstructs my eyesight to the center of the stage. If you haven't experienced this before, let me tell you: it's not pleasant. I really feel disadvantage of this during Bartok's complicated music, where interesting music comes out of a wide variety of instruments which I can't see because of this obstruction. I think my enjoyment of complicated music with awkward rhythms and interesting noise requiring large orchestra is enhanced by clear sight of what's going on. My other experience listening to comparably (or perhaps even more!) complex music was when I attended a concert with Schoenberg's Variations for Orchestra in the program. I can honestly say that if I listen to that piece from a recording, I would not have enjoyed it at all. However, due to the clear sight and knowledge of what's going on in the music, I enjoyed that performance the most out of the concert that featured Mozart's D minor Concerto and Ravel's Bolero. Knowing ahead that I was going to be in another music challenge with Xenakis, I changed seat in second half.

Xenakis' Shaar ('gate') did not disappoint, I actually loved it! People that hate dissonance sound would loathe this music because it's full of dissonances from beginning to the end. The strings started with glissandi, producing a siren-like sound. Very very interesting. Another interesting thing is the contrast between wonderful noises made throughout the piece. The effect of the climax in the final movement was enhanced by sharp attack from the orchestra.

Finally, Strauss' Metamorphosen finishes the concert. I can't say I was impressed by it, and to be honest, it sounded like a cheap Mahler (I'm sorry Richard Strauss!). In this case, I actually agree with Richard Strauss who famously said "I may not be a first-rate composer, but I am a first-class second-rate composer!". Anyway, I intend to discover Strauss' music more in the future, and I'm pretty sure I'll come across it again (and hopefully changed my opinion of it). The quote of Beethoven's funeral march from the Eroica symphony is pretty clear in the end, but as I did not enjoy and understand the work, it made no sense at all to me.

Summing up, this ACO concert is a mixed-bag for me. Vaughan Williams' and Xenakis' piece were probably the gems; I should re-listen to Bartok and Strauss music. And yes, I haven't forgotten Sculthorpe: I hope I can listen to it again.

No comments: