Monday 27 July 2009

Melbourne Symphony Orchestra concert 27 July 2009 - Lighting the Darkness

Featuring:
- Mahler Symphony No. 9

Ilan Volkov - Conductor

Mahler. Wouldn't you just die without him? Sigh.

Alright, the concert was emotionally draining. Ilan Volkov presented a very solid reading of Mahler 9 where extreme in dynamics and tempo are pushed to the limit. Let's break it down one by one.

In the opening of the first movement, there was a slightly unclean entry of the 2nd horn. Also just to nitpick things a bit further, I would prefer the first entry of the 4th horn to be softer. After that, tempo wise, I love the unveiling of the 2 note sighing motif. I could talk more about the entry of each instruments, but I'll stop here. Generally, the mood shift and dynamics which are the characteristics of the first movement are well done. Climaxes are overwhelming, although the last climax in which the trombones and timpani came back and bolt down the irregular heart beat motif was not as strong as I want it to be. The duet of flute and horn in the end was effective, but MSO didn't come as clean as they could have in the very last note of the first movement. Despite all these little nitpickings that I did, I enjoyed this movement very much.

I can't say that the 2nd movement of Mahler 9 spoke directly to my heart in general, regardless of who performed it. There's wonderful music there, but that's just it. I still love the 3 dances in this movement, especially the last dance whose motif is derived from the sighing motif of the first movement. Again, the tempo change between the slow (1st and 3rd) dances and fast (2nd) is drastic. What I love the most in this performance is the strong colour from the contrabassoon in the closing bars of this movement.

From the tranquility of village dances, we are thrown into cosmopolitan lifestyle in the third movement. What an achievement by Mahler! He pictured the chaos of city life with fugal music and God knows how many lines of music playing at the same time. The chorale like melody in the middle section played by the trumpet (wonderfully in this concert!) provided a welcome mood change. I was quite touched with it before that melody is mocked and tossed around right after the heart-touching tenderness moment from the development of the chorale. Moment after that, we're back into the city streets again. Chaotic music returns, and the music picked up the pace and ending up being an orchestral show piece. Small complaint, the snare drum that appeared out of nowhere just before the very end could be louder to enhance the surprise effect.

The last movement. Oh, what gorgeous music this is. Ilan's tempo is to my liking, letting all the strings sing out beautifully in the opening. The tension builds up throughout. Jumping straight to the meditative section where the woodwinds with the harp accompaniment dominated the melody before THE climax of the piece: these passages of 3 minutes long are the moment where I was undone. Tears just flow down, I can't help it. I was overwhelmed with all sort of emotions when the strings came in at fortissimo when the music burst out again to the opening motif of the finale. I couldn't care less of what happened after that. I still vividly remembered the trombones, horns and cymbals crashing down just before all the instruments die down just for the strings to sing out the main theme. Ilan took this moment just a bit too fast to my liking, but really I couldn't care less. Not until towards the cello solo in the end did I regain my composure again. The ending is bittersweet and heartfelt. There's a good 30 seconds to 1 minute silence in the end after the music ended.

Orchestra playing wise: strings and woodwinds were the pick tonight. Wilma Smith, Katharine Brockman, and David Berlin gave wonderful solos throughout the piece. The horns were a bit sketchy tonight. While still wonderful, timpani could've sounded a bit punchier. There were a small number of miss-entries, but the playing standard is very high overall. The hall is around 60-70% full, a shame for what was a wonderful Mahler 9 reading.

Next concert: Beethoven 6 and Sibelius Violin Concerto; this Friday.

No comments: