Monday 30 June 2008

Mahler's 9th Symphony - A first listening

I finally managed to pick myself up and have the courage to listen to this critic-branded 'earth-shattering' symphony. It wasn't earth-shattering for me at the moment, a problem that I always have with Mahler's music. For the recording, I picked to listen to Karajan's famous 1982-live recordings with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra.

Verdict:
The first movement was fantastic up until around the half-way mark, where the climax of the orchestra was really frightening. I had goosebumps all over me during this period and I'm sure everybody would too. After that, I expected more development but only to be disappointed with the music turning calm and calmer till the end of the movement. The very end of this movement has a very unique note, that for some unexplainable reason, sticks to me. Listen to it yourself and you'll see what I am talking about.

The second movement started out as a dance, but then it's not so dance like anymore. It kinda reminded me of the Scherzo of his 2nd symphony.

The third movement was the one that impressed me the best - it's very much like an orchestra showpiece. But the music itself sounded sarcastic from the very first note till the last note. I guess that's what it intended to sound like as Mahler wrote this movement as 'Rondo Burleske'.

The last movement moved me, close to tears, but right now the top slow movement of Mahler for me is still the slow movement of his sixth symphony. It is widely recognised as the acceptance of death, parting to this world. Perhaps, being a young man, death is something that I haven't thought much yet. I have the same problems with another movement of Mahler that supposedly meaning 'farewell to the earth' - the last movement of Das Lied von Der Erde. I can understand it musically, I gain something out of the movement, but I still cannot view this movement as how it is supposed to represent. Maybe this is just the naive side of me that have not had the slightest idea yet how to accept fate that is coming to you.

Conclusion: nothing to conclude but to listen to it again! I have Bernstein's, Abbado's and Walter's recording of this symphony and it should be interesting to compare the performance of each recordings. Hopefully one of them can help me understand the last movement better, so that I'll gain more out of it than what I gained of it at the moment.

No comments: