Sunday 20 April 2008

What I'm currently discovering..

I have not been doing blogging other things than reviews since my short writings on Edvard Grieg's Lyric Pieces. This is just a general survey of which composers and what pieces of them I'm listening now.

Bach: Concertos for Oboe and Violin.
Beethoven: Choral Fantasy, Missa Solemnis, Diabelli Variations, Early Piano Sonatas.
Mozart: The symphonies (working my way backwards, I have listened to 41, 40, 39, and 38, they're all delicious), Horn Concertos 1-4, Horn Quintet K. 452, Gran Partita (Serenade for 13 winds).
Haydn: The symphonies (working my way backwards - have listened and LOVED all of 104, 103 and 102).
Saint Saens: Piano Concertos (have listened to 1,2 and 5 - loved all of them. Look forward to listening to 3 and 4), Cello Concerto #1, a number of tone poems.
Dvorak: Symphony No. 7 (wonderful piece of music, rivalling 8th and 9th symphonies) - again, working my way backwards.
Mahler: Orchestral Works (working my way FORWARDS, now listening to Das Lied von Der Erde) - only his 9th and 10th symphonies to tackle and I can officially call myself a Mahlerian.
Chopin: Ballades (loved all of them), Scherzos and Impromptus.
Bruch: Scottish Fantasy.
Schubert: Piano Sonatas (working my way backwards, I have only listened to D. 960 and what a piece. Endless beauties.), Impromptus and Moment Musicals.
Mendelssohn: Piano Concerto #2 and some piano works.
Schumann: The symphonies (working my way forwards, now on his 3rd - one more to go!).
Berg: Violin Concerto (I didn't get it in my first two listenings, I'll try again soon!)
Schumann: Introduction and Allegro Appassionato for piano and orchestra, Waldszenen, and piano works (basically Richter's Schumann album on DG).
Tchaikovsky: Orchestral Suites (working my way forwards, loved the first and looking forward to listen to the second).
Sibelius: Karelia Suites and other tone poems.
Brahms: Ein Deutches Requiem.
Rachmaninoff: Symphony No. 1, and (relistening to) Symphonic Dances and The Bells.
Prokofiev: Violin Concerto No. 1 and Piano Concerto No. 4.
Debussy: Orchestral Works.

Lots of music to be discovered. Patience is required.

No comments: